Travelling Abroad with your pet companion.


You will need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) for your pet if you are travelling from Great Britain to the EU. An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is required by law to ensure that diseases such as rabies do not spread. For countries outside of the EU, you would need an Export Health Certificate. If you are travelling to a non-EU country then different rules will apply (additional blood samples, documentation).

Please see for government guidelines on which countries this is applicable to.


You will need to have your pet microchipped and vaccinated against rabies

Your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated, and you’ll need to wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before your animal health certificate (AHC) can be issued.

Who can issue an Animal Health Certificate (AHC)

Animal Health Certificate (AHC) can only be issued by a vet who has been authorised by the government (an Official Veterinarian).

When to get an Animal Health Certificate (AHC):

You must get an animal health certificate (AHC) in the 10 days before you enter the EU as long as your pet either:

  • has an up-to-date rabies vaccination already
  • only needs booster doses to keep the vaccination up-to-date

If your pet needs a rabies vaccination you must wait 21 days after the vaccination date before you can get an animal health certificate. Day 1 is the day after vaccination.

How to get an Animal Health Certificate:

You will need to bring your pet to your vet to get an AHC no more than 10 days before travel to the EU or NI.

You will need to ensure that you bring with you all of the correct paperwork that is required for any countries that you will be travelling to/through

Your AHC will be valid for 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI, onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue, and re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue.

Your pet will need a new Animal Health Certificate (AHC) for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

How many pets can one person apply for Animal Health Certificates for?

The owner or authorised person can only be accompanied by a maximum of 5 pets. You cannot take more than 5 pets to an EU country or NI unless you are attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event. You will need evidence of registration for the event when you travel.

How much will the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) cost:

A rabies vaccine will cost £70.75
Animal Health Certificate cost £389.54
The full cost of the rabies vaccine & Animal Health Certificate will need to be paid when the appointment is booked.

Clients on our Wellness Plan receive 15% discount off all products and services.



Replies by email can take 72 hours and longer over weekends/holidays. For urgent enquiries please call our 24-hour branch on 0191 284 1711 to speak to one of our experienced members of staff.

Appointments and medication orders should be made by telephone by calling your respective branch. Find the number of your practice via our interactive map here.